Sunshine Chia Bowl - Bruce's Roots
I've written about the health benefits of chia seeds before, click here, so today, I'm going straight into this deliciousness . Here at Bruce's Roots, we like food that tastes great, is nutritious and also beautiful. Why not get excited about our food and thoroughly enjoy it with all our senses.
Breakfast = breaking the fast
What we choose to eat for breakfast sets us up for our entire day. If you have coffee, a meal high in refined sugar without protein and good fats, you're going to crash and have low energy.
This recipe includes turmeric, which is high in the beneficial compound curcumin. I've touched on the health benefits in my smoothie bowl creation. I have a whole book on turmeric and I still haven't finished it, but here is what I know from school. I'm a big believer in Ayurveda and they've been using this spice for it's health benefits for thousands of years.
- supports the liver
- high in antioxidants
- reduces inflammation
- may reduce blood sugar and cholesterol levels
- brain health
- cancer prevention
- great for anyone with arthritis (inflammation)
Those are some pretty amazing properties. Whole organic foods are so nutritious and provide balance to so many areas in the body. We just need to eat them over processed foods that often negatively impact our blood sugars, are hard on the liver and make us feel sluggish.
For anyone that is unsure how their health is doing and would like a more objective test, all initial nutrition consults with myself, Jordan Bruce, include Live Blood Analysis.
For this recipe, I've decided to go with a blend by Amoda as it has turmeric powder, fennel powder, true cinnamon powder, ginger powder, anise seed powder, raw vanilla powder, black pepper powder. Amoda, a local Vancouver company, has tested their turmeric and it has 5-6 % curcumin.
Chia Seed Pudding
- 1/4 cup of chia seeds
- 1 cup of non dairy milk - almond, coconut, cashew, hemp
- option to add true cinnamon, I add lots
- 1 organic banana, peeled
- 1-2 tsp of turmeric blend, I used Amoda
- non-dairy milk, just enough to blend
- knob of fresh ginger, optional, but I like the heat
- Mix chia seeds with non dairy milk by stirring in a bowl or shaking in a mason jar. Stir or shake again 2 minutes later to avoid clumping. I leave this for a minimum of two hours, but you can also leave it overnight so the chia seeds absorb the milk. Feel free to adjust chia seed liquid ratio based on personal preference.
- When the chia seed pudding is ready, make your smoothie. Add all ingredients and blend.
- I added chia pudding to one side then poured in the smoothie on the other side.
- Option to add toppings such as coconut and cacao nibs.
- Mindfully consume and enjoy
Feel free to share this so other learn about the benefits of turmeric and how easy it is to make a healthy breakfast.